Search A Light In The Darkness

Monday 2 October 2017

Image of the Month - Stickle Tarn, Great Langdale

Stickle Tarn, Great Langdale, Cumbria, UK
The view is incredibly exhilarating , the effort to get to see it is back breaking, muscle burning, mentally stimulating ... my visit back in May 2017 this year was the first time back to this fantastic vista in nearly 25 years. I'd forgotten just how challenging the path was up Stickle Ghyll, commencing at the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel in Great Langdale. It is certainly mentally challenging to get up to the tarn when starting out on a warm Spring day with a bad bout of sciatica part way up the climb!

But once there, the view of Harrison Sickle and Pavey Ark (Both former playgrounds of mine back in the 70's, 80's and 90's) are breathtaking. Hard to believe I regularly climbed the background crag back in the last century! Alas, I was not suitably kitted out to make the attempt again back in May 2017 .... but I do plan to return ... soon.